Doctor Kamlet’s talk on Ibogaine Safety at the Entheo-Science conference 2017. Jeff has been involved with ibogaine for a long time and was part of the team along with Debra Mash who conducted the clinical trials.
A link to the video of Jeff Kamlets talk on Ibogaine Safety can be found at the bottom of this page.
Some Points the Jeff Kamlet Outlined in his Presentation
Mental Health Concerns
He spoke about breaks with reality occasionally experienced by people post ibogaine. Ibogaine is not good for people with bi-polar and possibly other mental health conditions.
He said to watch out for mild schizoid typical tendencies before ibogaine during the interview process. As if these people take ibogaine the schizophrenic tendencies can become profound, paranoia and it can last 6-8months then go back to baseline.
NEVER GIVE ANTI PSYCHOTICS TO PEOPLE ON IBOGAINE (No thorozine etc). The way to shut it down is benzos.
Post-Acute Withdrawal Symptoms (PAWS)
- PAWS only last 90days! PET scans have shown that natural endorphins will return after 3months.
- Apart from Methamphetamines.
- If still suffering after 90days then its something else; depression etc.
Ibogaine for Alcoholism
Alcoholics must be detoxed first using benzos. Can be detoxed in 5-7days (as long as they don’t have other health issues like cirrhosis of the liver, or other abnormal liver findings).
Dr Kamlet told the providers to “make sure that they promise to have an aftercare program or refuse to treat them”. Stressing how important the time post ibogaine treatment is.
Ibogaine Heart Risks
- QT / QTc Prolongation
- Hyper Serotonin Syndrome (No SSRI’s or anything centraly acting)
- “Hyper Excitable Heart Syndrome” If you have been doing a lot of cocaine, alcohol, stimulants. Even after a week you have a Hyper Excitable Heart which can cause Ventricular Arrhythmia
- VTAC (which can look like Torsades!!)
He went on to stress to the ibogaine providers there:
“You need to know the difference between VTAC or Torsades. The cure for VTAC is lidocaine but will kill someone in Torsades”
Preparation Pre Ibogaine Flood
- Must have recent blood panels and electrolyte tests. Always drug test patients.
- 15 mg of IM Benadryl to stop puking (Benadryl = diphenhydramead)
- 8 Hours fasting. Last meal midnight. Ibogaine between 8-9am.
- T-Wave behaves very strangely on ibogaine, even going flat (inconsistent with being alive!)
- Cardiologists have seen nothing like it. Ibogaine is a very potent hERG blocker
- When flooded and ibogaine turns to noribogaine in the liver, the T wave changes appearance. Always disappear in less than 24 hours.
Dr. Kamlet was involved in the clinical trials of Ibogaine and has been around this work for a long time.